A one-alarm fire displaced six people Sunday night when smoking material from an ashtray ignited an upstairs apartment on McCormick Street, according to fire officials.
The fire started shortly after 7 p.m., when resident Zach Jones, a 25-year-old film student at the University of North Texas, heard a “crackling” sound outside his second-floor apartment near campus.
Jones opened the front door and saw flames crawling seven feet up the wall. He said he quickly grabbed some water but couldn’t extinguish the flames.
Jack Petty, 52, a downstairs tenant, heard Jones rushing about upstairs when he noticed the fire...